As a not-for-profit organization, Partners HealthCare is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community by leading innovation across our system. Founded by Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, Partners HealthCare supports a complete continuum of care including community and specialty hospitals, a managed care organization, a physician network, community health centers, home care and other health-related entities. Several of our hospitals are teaching affiliates of Harvard Medical School, and our system is a national leader in biomedical research.
We're focused on a people-first culture for our system's patients and our professional family. That's why we provide our employees with more ways to achieve their potential. Partners HealthCare is committed to aligning our employees' personal aspirations with projects that match their capabilities and creating a culture that empowers our managers to become trusted mentors. We support each member of our team to own their personal development?and we recognize success at every step.
Our employees use the Partners HealthCare values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
General Summary/Overview Statement:
The Enterprise Support Team works closely with the Architecture, Deployment and Network Engineering teams as well as various working groups in the organization to continue the evolution of the Partners Virtualized environment (VMWare) and Windows server platforms. The team is responsible for administration, and support of all Partners Windows based servers and Virtual infrastructure located within the Partners Data Center (NDM or MDC).
Each Engineer confers with peers on technical problems, procedures and troubleshooting methods. Consults with and advises users and other support groups of server issues. Projects long-range requirements for server administration and expansion. Plans and recommends machine modifications or additional equipment to increase system capacities. Analyzes the results of server monitoring and recommends changes to improve performance, processing and utilization.
The Server Engineer I is responsible for the operation, administration and maintenance of all Windows and Virtual based servers which were built to Partners standards. S/he will also be responsible for monitoring and maintaining a VMware ESX platform for CPU, memory and disk utilization. S/he implements machine modifications or additional equipment to increase system capacities. S/he analyzes results of server monitoring and implements changes to improve performance, processing and utilization. S/he proposes, maintains and enforces server polices, practices and security procedures.
The Server Engineer I needs to have a working level of knowledge and experience with a broad base of adjoining technologies including networks, storage area networks, databases, and application based software. Additionally, they must possess strong troubleshooting abilities to maintain high levels of system uptime and performance.
The Server Engineer I will be part of a 24x7 on-call rotation to support critical patient care servers, with primary on-call support expected every 11 weeks.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
* Performance monitoring, technical support and advanced troubleshooting of complex server problems
* Data integrity, restores and disaster recovery
* Documentation of problems and solutions
* Maintain the health of all Windows based servers (Physical and Virtual), and virtual infrastructure (ESX hosts)
* Server migrations and upgrades (memory, CPU and drives)
* Server problem analysis and recovery/
* Maintain Service Center tickets and update customers on a daily/weekly basis
* Assist other direct team members, as well as teams and groups inside and outside of ITS
* Communicate with vendors in resolution of incidents
* Conform to and support system management disciplines such as the Corporate Change, Asset, and
Problem Management procedures
* Use the Partners HealthCare values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
* Perform other duties as assigned
* BS in Computer Science or equivalent combination of education and experience required
* 3 years of IT experience (extensively with Windows and VMware)
* 2 years of server administration experience in a large networked environment
* Must have working knowledge of networking concepts and protocols: routing, TCP/IP
* Some knowledge of Active Directory
* Experience in disaster recovery exercises
* Experience in a SAN environment
* Experience with HP/Cisco Rack-mountable servers
* Experience with Tivoli Storage Management (TSM) is preferred but not required.
* Strong commitment to customer service
* Ability to function at a high level in a team environment
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Ability to multitask and prioritize work requirements
* Working knowledge of Operating Systems: Windows 2008, 2012 and Windows 2016, ESX, VMware
* Working knowledge of Active Directory
* Experience with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
* Experience with Network protocols: TCP/IP
* Climate controlled lab
* Rotational 7 x 24 primary on-call (~1 week every 8 weeks)